About the Workshop
APPLICATIONS FOR 2018 ARE DUE APRIL 15
The Hugh N. Boyd Journalism Diversity Workshop is a nine-day program that teaches high school students the basics of print and digital newsgathering.
Admission is open to rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors. Admission is competitive. All students selected receive a full scholarship to the program.
- Live in university housing for the duration of the program
- Learn about different types of journalism
- Learn to write for the Web including blogging
- Prepare photos and videos for the Web
- Attend editing sessions with professional journalists
- Work together to publish a workshop Webzine
Students must be New Jersey residents and attend school in New Jersey. Students must be rising sophomores, juniors or seniors.
Students will be selected based on:
- Writing skills
- Journalism experience including classes, school paper, blogging
- Academic and behavioral performance in school
- Recommendation letter from teacher, counselor or mentor
- Student statement explaining interest and experience in journalism and interest in this workshop (100-200 words)
- Student statement on how they’ve been personally impacted by issues of culture/ethnicity/gender/sexual orientation (100-200 words)
Consideration will also be given to students who receive or are eligible for free or reduced breakfast or lunch under SBP, NSLP or SNAP
For information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org